[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Your feedback for the Adobe presentation
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:52 pm

Illustrator related FreeHand topics

Your feedback for the Adobe presentation

Make comparisons. Write about your experiences, impressions, problems or questions about working with both applications.

Your feedback for the Adobe presentation

Postby FFH Thü » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:57 am

FFH's presentations to Adobe included a slide show of comparative features compiled from long-standing requests by the FreeHand membership, FreeHand/Illustrator experts, and the FreeHand Forum. Adobe was also treated to live demonstrations of various FreeHand tools. On a subsequent occasion, several local FreeHand users were invited to attend and give Adobe their honest, constructive opinions. A 55-page PDF has been made of our presentation and you can downloaded it here: http://www.freehandforum.org/images/AI_ ... atures.pdf

We invite you to give your feedback and additions to the presentation.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Your feedback for the Adobe presentation

Postby Aspensound » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:39 am

This is amazing show what FH can still do better than any other vector app, and still FHMX is now (2013) 10 years old.
If the guys in Adobe lives in this time and world, they´ll drop Illustrator overboard, and get FH back.

Overall, this was a great testimony to the strength of FreeHand.
Aspensound

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby swearingdad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:14 am

Firstly "well done" for creating such a document and presenting it to Adobe. Brilliant.

Secondly I seriously cannot believe how a programme that is comparatively a pensioner can still run rings around Illustrator in so many areas. I was forced to change to Illustrator two years ago having used Freehand since version 2. I still curse the fact that there is no "paste inside" and no rubber-banding of the pen tool (you have it in Photoshop, why not Illustrator!!!). And your presentation reminded me of all the other features I still miss.

I blogged about how I found Illustrator difficult back in 2009 - http://blogs.shave.com/design/2009/11/f ... esigne.htm - and still today I really miss its "just works as expected" experience.
swearingdad

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby vaa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:32 pm

By all respect for your work, and please excuse me if this has already been said, I find it…, well, funny that Adobe employees use your – our – expertise for free (or even for pay) to plagiarise FreeHand (even if they technically own it). Are the creators of FreeHand still around, did anyone ask them? Otherwise, looking forward to the fruits of this collaboration…
vaa

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby vaa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:52 pm

A small note to your pdf: in FHMX closed paths are NOT a requirement to fill a shape (show fill in the prefs). Otherwise, a pretty representative presentation! :-)
vaa

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby ThePixelDoc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:27 pm

I certainly admire your perseverance in this matter. However I still can't imagine Adobe ever making any "useful" changes to Illustrator to compensate for your well documented lack of user-friendliness. As someone pointed out above, it's already been 13+ years. At this point, I seriously don't think they have had... or ever will have... the ability to even code/program these changes. Their engineers are just not top quality, or their platform frameworks are not that flexible... or more than likely both. :oops:

Even that "simple" little idea of an FH Converter Droplet is surely beyond their competence. Also, considering that you would probably have to be an Adobe CS6 Cloud subscriber to even use it, and need to muck up your computer with an Adobe Air installation (probably)... would it even be worth it, even if it did "kinda, sorta, on-a-full-moon-monday" work?

Was "the" or "any" product manager from AI or ID present in these talks? What was your take-away, gut reaction to these "teams"? Were they experienced engineers, or only "Product/Marketing" people?

Sorry for my skepticism, but again: 13+ years of slacking off with no discernable change in friendliness or suite integration on Adobe's part, does not install one small lick of confidence in me personally, that this thorough, engaging and pointed presentation didn't just go in one ear and out the other... in a "Flash". :o
ThePixelDoc

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby dr-graph » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 pm

I enjoyed very much reading the presentation! I used FH for a long time but not in the last few years. The Presentation reminded me of the great simplicity and power of FH. Would love to work again with FH or the hopefully coming "clone".
dr-graph

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby keiththirgood » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:19 pm

The presentation to Adobe reminds me why I use Freehand every day, and why I nurse along all six old Macs in our shop, as I can no longer buy new Macs, thanks to the abandonment of Rosetta by Apple.

I wish I could upgrade, but I will not, cannot, work without Freehand. I have Illustrator, one version old, however, it just gets in the way of developing what I develop. If I was forced to give up on Freehand, I would have to retire.
keiththirgood

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby manxman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:03 am

Very good presentation - covered all things I could think of.
BUT, it would be clearer -- less text and more wow -- if it had small videos of features embedded in a PDF.

Have used Illus since v3.2 then changed to Freehand v7 and much preferred it. Currently use FH on a Virtual PC.
manxman

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:18 am

FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Next

Return to Illustrator related FreeHand topics

Subscribe to Feed