[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - FreeHand is back, at least on my MacBook Pro with Maverick
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:51 am

FreeHand support

FreeHand is back, at least on my MacBook Pro with Maverick

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

FreeHand is back, at least on my MacBook Pro with Maverick

Postby sebright » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:51 pm

Like all Free FreeHand member, I love FH. I can make it do things that seem impossible for any other design application. I have tried all the workarounds to keep using FH (upgrading my 2000 Ethernet G4 to setting up a partition on my MBP to keep Snow Leopard and FH). Rebooting my Mac is really a pain; going back and forth between two computers is better, but still not like the "Good Old (Snow Leopard) Days" and can't be done when I am out of the office with my MBP.

Thanks to my son, I learned that Newegg.com had a special where Parallels 8 was basically free ($19.99 with a $20 rebate). Upon installing Parallels, I learned-to my dismay-that Snow Leopard could not be used in a virtual machine due to licensing issues. Parallels does allow Leopard Server and Snow Leopard Server. But who has that old software which cost between $300 and $500 in it Day?

After my initial excitement, I was really bummed out. All reading this understand.

Then, thanks to macintouch.com, I learned that Apple was selling Snow Leopard Server for $19.99, plus shipping. This unadvertised special is only available by phone, (800) MYAPPLE. Apple will ask if you plan to use the application for business, personal or education. The deliver date was 3-5 weeks out, but it arrived in two weeks. This server package comes with unlimited license.

I installed FH and then create a Macromedia folder inside the Application Support Folder, which is in the Library folder, and place my FreeHand MXa Registration file from my G4 in it.

Bingo, I am back in business with FH. I suggest having 8 mgs of RAM or more. I set up the virtual machine's dock on the left side of the screen and turned off hiding as my MBP dock is at the bottom of the screen. Can't have both at the bottom.

Also, I added all my fonts to the Snow Leopard virtual machine's font folder. It does not recognize the fonts on the Mac.

If you have not installed a Mac server, do not worry. It installs a lot of stuff you will never use on a virtual machine. Really who cares as long as FH runs seemlessly?

The only challenge I have encountered so far, is that on one Mac Mini, I can run in what Parallels calls "Full Coherence" but on my MBP, I can't. This means the virtual machine works as just another app and FH act as though it is running on Maverick, including cut and paste. I am sure I made a mistake in setting the MacBookPro Leopard virtual machine. I will figure it out.

This is a long-winded explanation of how I am now running FH on my MBP with Maverick operating system, but I wanted to be thorough. Plus, I can now run a number of useful legacy applications Apple had abandoned with the demise of Rosetta. And it only cost me $20.50.

I hope this help some forum members.
sebright

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: FreeHand is back, at least on my MacBook Pro with Maveri

Postby slv987 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:32 pm

I've been using a similar setup for the past few months. I'm on a MacBook Pro with Mavericks, using VMWare Fusion 6 with Snow Leopard Server. Everything seems to run fairly well. I'm using Freehand for several hours a day. I've only seen a couple issues and they aren't a big deal. I cannot open files on the Mavericks side unless they have the file extensions. Also my magic mouse seems a little sluggish.
slv987

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby machenry » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:33 am

Thanks for the steps you outlined with Parallels. I think I'm ready to install Parallels 7, onto my 10.6x and then SLS, Freehand and then up upgrading to Mavericks on my 2010 mini, then upgrade to 16 GB ram. Just finished CC Cloner to a new 1 TB as its almost 4 years old and drives don't last much longer. Small businesses like mine can NOT afford to pay the ransom fees of Adobe. Long live Adlus Freehand! Is there any more tips on this subject before I take the leap? Will my old junk slow me down in Mavericks? Thanks to everyone - Keep the Faith.
machenry

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby sebright » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:21 am

Good question on slowing Maverick down. With 16 BM of RAM, probably not. Many on Apple's forums say Maverick is faster than previous operating systems on the same machine. Once you upgrade, you will know which applications will not work. Place those vintage apps you need on the new Parallels virtual machine. I would try manually drag old apps you plan to use to the new application folder and put support files where they belong. If that doesn't work you may need to reinstall. Do all this before installing Parallel Tools and switch into coherence. Freehand is very fast under Parallels.
sebright

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FH Addict » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 am

FH Addict

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby machenry » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:11 am

Just finished installing Freehand 10 in Snow Leopard Server under Paralles 8 on Mac mini 10.6x and works great! Maybe a little better now. However, Freehand MX 11.0.2 installs and doesn't ask for serial number. When I try and launch it, after 5 seconds it just stops bouncing and closes. I've tried several installs according to adobe's site and this one. MX works good one the main OS 10.6x but I need to get it working within SLS so I can upgrade to Mavericks. Please, any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Tks.
machenry

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby slv987 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:10 pm

slv987

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby machenry » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Got FH mx to work, can't find the toolbar that holds the TEXT tool, or any others like line, box, circle. Any suggestions? Should I trash the Pref. file?
SLS under paralles 8.
machenry

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby slv987 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:28 pm

slv987

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby machenry » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:50 pm

Got the "Tools" bar back by copying the old Pref. file "Tools" to a usb then into my SLS user lib/macromedia/pref/ file. Thanks I now have both FH 10 & 11 working under SLS & Pararells 8.
machenry

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Next

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum